Randy Reed of FedEx Express has been named the Grand Champion of the 2010 Oklahoma Truck Driving Championships (TDC) which took place June 4 and 5 in Oklahoma City.
Reed competed in the 3-Axle Van Class, placing first, and also won the Pre-Trip Inspection award, with a perfect score, which has only occurred one other time in the history of the Oklahoma Truck Driving Championships. Reed has been an employee of FedEx Express for 26 years and has been accident-free throughout his entire trucking career. Reed is married to Kelly and they have three children, Steven (20), Aimee (16) and Jillian (13). The Reed family currently lives in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
Reed will now go on to represent Oklahoma at the National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), but this will not be the first time he has participated at the National level. In 2006 he placed 14th at the National level and in 2007 he placed 3rd.
A total of 96 drivers in eight equipment classes competed in Oklahoma TDC this year. Approximately 325 people attended the awards banquet, June 5, to honor the winners. The winners of each class will go on to represent Oklahoma at the NTDC, August 3-7 in Columbus, Ohio.
The winners of each class are as follows:
Straight Truck Class
1. Stan Kelley – Con-Way Freight – Collinsville, OK
2. John Frederick – Con-Way Freight – Stroud, OK
3. Kent Jones – ABF Freight – Broken Arrow, OK
3-Axle Van Class
1. Randy Reed – FedEx Express – Broken Arrow, OK
2. Larry Kendall – FedEx Express – Tulsa, OK
3. Steve Smalley – ABF Freight – Edmond, OK
4-Axle Van Class
1. Michael Buck – YRC Worldwide – Moore, OK
2. Clinton Kundysek – Con-Way Freight – Tulsa, OK
3. Wade Wolfenkoehler – FedEx Express – Oklahoma City, OK
5-Axle Van Class
1. Mark Cress – YRC Worldwide – Lexington, OK
2. Mike Hill – Wal-Mart Transportation – Pryor, OK
3. Russ Herbst – Advance Foods – Aline, OK
5-Axle Flatbed Class
1. Perry Davis Jr. – Wal-Mart Transportation – Bentonville, AR
2. Jack Adams – Melton Truck Line – Buxton, ME
3. Joe Zuniga – Melton Truck Line – Corpus Christi, TX
5-Axle Tank Class
1. John Hurt – Sinclair Trucking – Okmulgee, OK
2. Eric DeVore – Sinclair Trucking – Broken Arrow, OK
3. John Cruz – Sinclair Trucking – Owasso, OK
Twin Trailers Class
1. James Hudson – Con-Way Freight – Oklahoma City, OK
2. Tommy Marlow – ABF Freight – Broken Arrow, OK
3. Kevin Slavens – YRC Worldwide - Piedmont, OK
5-Axle Sleeper Berth
1. Bud Laubach – Advance Foods – Waukomis, OK
2. Benny Farmer – Advance Foods – Pond Creek, OK
3. Dale Moyer – Advance Foods – Enid, OK
The C. Dewayne Sleeper Award for Rookie of the Year was awarded to James Hudson (Oklahoma City) of Con-Way Freight. Clinton Kundysek (Tulsa) of Con-Way freight placed second and John Frederick (Stroud) of Con-Way Freight placed third in the Rookie Awards.
Overall, FedEx Express took the first place team award. Sinclair Trucking took second and ABF Freight took third.
The Oklahoma TDC is put together by the Oklahoma Safety Management Council (OSMC) and gives drivers the opportunity to demonstrate their skills for the public. In return, the public’s support of the TDC lets the drivers know that we appreciate their dedicated service to our country because they are indeed the backbone of our economy.
Drivers must compete in several different categories including a written exam, pre-trip vehicle inspection, personal interview and a driving course. In order to compete, a driver must have an accident-free record of at least one year and must be employed by an Oklahoma Trucking Association member company.
tweetmeme_source = 'OKTrucking';
tweetmeme_service = 'ow.ly';
Posted on Mon, June 7, 2010